Pets Located - Automatically and proactively reuniting you with your pet 24/7

Guidelines for Members of the Public who have found a pet

Depending on what type of pet you have found, you may need to take differing actions. Below are a few suggestions of what you could do.

Please register the pet (free of charge) on this website as soon as possible to give it the best chance of being reunited with its owner as quickly as possible.

In addition to adding a found pet's details and photo to this website, there are a few other steps you can take to help reunite the pet with their owner:

  • Check the animal for a collar and tag as there may also be a phone number. Call the number and leave a message if there's no answer.
  • If it is possible, safely catch the animal and take them to the local vets where they can be scanned for a microchip – be aware that some animals may be scared so take care when trying to secure them.
  • If you are unable to get a hold of the animal, or it is not practical to do so, give the vets or an animal rescue a ring instead. Whilst waiting for help, you can also search our database for potential lot pet matches. Please note that RSPCA will not attend animals which are healthy and not injured. They will redirect you to this website.

For Data Protection reasons vets will not be able to tell you the owner's details but may be able to contact the microchip company or the owner directly. You should then update the 'Scanned for Microchip?' status on the pet's details on this website and, where appropriate, enter the microchip number in the box provided.

Details of how this website works can be found on the 'How we Work' page.

Please also check our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.

Please consider your own wellbeing and do not approach animals which are displaying aggressive behaviours


Once you have registered a stray dog, you must then contact your Local Authority who are legally responsible for stray dogs. A dog is classed as being stray if it is in a public place without its owner or the person who is responsible for it. A dog that is roaming or straying that is acting aggressively needs to be reported to the local police and dog warden.


Register A Found Pet